Sunday, June 11, 2006

The New Lehigh County Democratic chair is:

Rick Daugherty!!!!
This is the result of some brilliant, tactical behind the scenes maneuvering by three of Lehigh county's elected Democratic officials, County Exec Don Cunningham, State rep Jen Mann, and A-town Mayor Ed Pawloski.
This deflated an attempt by the wizard of Northampton county, Joe Long (AKA, the Lord of the Rings) to reach his tendrils into Lehigh and influence the local vote. Joe Long attempted with his surrogate, and our Congressional write in nominee, Charles Dertinger, to inflate support for Sam Bennett. Some members of the Lehigh Valley Democratic coalition also played along, sending out a letter to all committe members listing the 30 or so "true" Democrats who supported Sam, and inviting them to call and get put on the list.
Let me make this very clear: Sam Bennett would have made an outstanding party chair, and still might some day, but some of her supporters became overly aggressive in demanding support, even labeling some who refused to support Sam as "Not true Democrats". It was getting out of hand, and getting nasty, and Don Cunningham, excellent leader that he is, stepped in and made the players see the whole board.
Making Rick Chair, Sam 1st chair, and Matt Croslis 2nd chair, gives Lehich County Dems 3 1st team starters in positions that lets them play off of their strengths.
With Local Republicans reeling on their heels following the 2005 general elections, it was absolutely imperative that Democrats put forth a united front and mobilize behind their candidates at all levels. Now it can be donewith no useless bloodshed.

The only questions in the back of my mind are these: Joe Long's dream of a greater Lehigh Valley Democratic party with him at the helm has been thwarted for now, and will this failed attempt to insinuate himself into Lehigh County Politics embolden more folks in his home Northampton county, like John Stoffa, to challenge his authority? What about Charles Dertinger, will Lehigh Dems really put their heart and souls into helping him defeat the hated Charlie Dent, now that Mr Dertingers
"Patron" has been cut off at the pass?
Finally, what does this bode for the liberal "Impeach Bush" wing of the Lehigh Dems? Has the Lehigh Valley Democratic coalition, in getting into bed with Joe Long, damaged their credibility, and will they mute themselves, so the party can recruit and register in Lehigh, or will they keep diverting important resources and effort into their fruitless, yet I do agree worthwhile to some extent radical causes?
One Thing to remember, Howard Dean is our party leader, and he has us on a good track, but his image is one of "Yeeeehawwww!!!!," and it is tough for many prospective Dems and Rinos to get past that. Whether we win in November depends on this choice: Will Dems put ourselves forward as a party of fairness, reason, and fiscal responsibility, or will we allow the lesser Angels of our being (I.E.those who vow revenge on Republicans) to be our public face, a face that when seen by those we wish to convert, comes across as a choice between the devil you know and the devil you don't? It's gonna be a long hot summer, so come Labor Day, I can't wait to see who is still standing.


10 Comments:

Blogger Dem Fly on the wall said...

Are you calling the Lehigh Valley Democratic coalition (Fadia Halma) a bunch of Joe Long's Lackeys? You are treading on dangerous ground!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Dem Fly on the wall said...

Are you calling the Lehigh Valley Democratic coalition (Fadia Halma) a bunch of Joe Long's Lackeys? You are treading on dangerous ground!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Bernie O'Hare said...

Better watch out! They might send some trolls after you, too! Worse, Lamont McClure might threaten you with a libel prosecution!

4:41 AM  
Blogger caseyhasabat said...

I'm not saying that the LVDC were Long's Lackeys, I'm just making an observation that Joe Long might have tried to over reach into a place he wasn't needed or wanted. I applaud him for the effort in the 15th congressional district, but to be keep a fair perspective, I have to criticize for getting involved in the Lehigh County chair vote. It really wasn't his business. How do you think the folks in Northampton had felt if a group of Lehigh Dems had tried to influence their vote?
As for you Bernie, Bill white put you in his column, so I guess you have found Blog nirvana!!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Bernie O'Hare said...

Nirvana? Hmmm. I still feel pretty lousy.

And as for Joe Long, I think he should get more involved in Lehigh County. In fact, I think he should move there.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Dem Fly on the wall said...

No Bernie, and you can keep him, and by the by, I got an email telling me I might be intersted in something called Lehich valley or Lehigh County Redneck,I checked it out, for someone's first post? it wasn't bad, but it sure was juicy.

4:03 PM  
Blogger caseyhasabat said...

Okay, I just got back from the Lehigh Valley Redneck blog. WoW!!
This person is onto something I know to be true. I think when people start asking about this sex scandal thing, a whole ball of dirty brown stuff is gonna roll down hill!!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Bernie O'Hare said...

I hope that I can get the addy to this new blog. I'd love to check it out. I'll try again.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bernie O'Hare said...

I found it and I'm glad I did. Dem Fly on the Wall, why didn't you just tell me it's your blog?? I'm going to go back and read it again. It's a great story, and I think it's something that Bill White spoke about last week.

It's at http://lehighcountyredneck.blogspot.com/

7:38 PM  
Blogger Lehigh Valley Rendell said...

Hi everyone...this is like the 12th time I've made this post...the Rendell campaign just opened up a blog: lehighvalleyrendell.blogspot.com. We will hopefully have it updated on a regular basis, so I hope everyone checks it out to find out the latest info on the Governor's campaign in the Valley. Enjoy and happy reading!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home